Saturday 3 August 2013

The Finishing Touches

By: Mark Frentz
www.akerahomes.com
mfrentz@akerahomes.com

Remember: Please share this article if you find it enjoyable










What's With the Ugly Picture?

I'm not sure what goes on for you when you see this picture. I try to think back about what I would think if I saw this picture before I became involved with real estate investing. I'm guessing I would have thought: Why would someone post a picture like this... it's just an ugly apartment with nothing in it? In fact, it's worse than that because it is in really rough shape right now. While many people might be uninterested in this picture (including the poor quality of the shot and blurring) I get excited when I see a picture like this because I now think very different thoughts.

Who and How Can I Help?

I was introduced to a family a few weeks ago that had an apartment they didn't want any longer. They asked me to help them sell the property as fast as possible. I stated I would do my best and a friend and I have been working to find a contractor/investor who can purchase the property and sell it for a profit. We just found that investor and I'm excited for a few reasons. The first is that win-win situations really do exist in real estate investing.

I just helped a family with a property that was simply sitting vacant for a couple years and was costing money each month to hold onto. The family thanked me for doing my job well and getting the money they were asking rather than having to take a massive loss or lose money each month for the next year or two. I just helped an investor who was willing to could work hard and make a profit from that work. The investor thanked me for providing a fantastic opportunity. I just helped a complex and condo board that had an apartment sitting vacant with a sign on the front door making public that there was a long standing problem. The condo board is grateful to have a clean, well renovated apartment which actually increases the value of the other apartments around it. I also just helped out my own family by providing for them with the work that I do.

So, Who was the Loser?

I love what I do because when I do it properly absolutely everyone wins. I've had a lot of people thank me in the past few days for what I do because I didn't look simply at profit, but rather at how I could offer solutions to problems. I firmly believe that if I become excellent at solving problems more people will win and that's my business strategy. I make friends and solve problems. The reason I am posting today is to offer an example of how business and real estate really can be a good thing for everyone. I have some family members who, when I explain what I do, ask me who loses in the deal. They don't believe my response and, in the end, I have to be ok with that.

I encourage anyone reading this post to think about why they want to invest. What is the ultimate goal? Is it simply to become wealthy? If it is, there is nothing wrong with wealth on its own. Money is simply an idea. What I will propose is that if wealth was the only goal, it wouldn't be enough for me. I can't motivate myself to do difficult things that other people won't do for money alone. Don't get me wrong. I have plans of becoming wealthy. I also have plans of what my wife and I can do with that wealth in the lives of others. What really motivates me day to day is that I really love helping people. I don't understand (and therefore can't see the ultimate value) how stocks help people. The stock market helps businesses and the economy in some respects, but in the end the help is intangible. I love doing what I do because I see the benefits directly in front of me and wanted to share that with you today. Two people I desperately desire to help along the way are my two young children. I want them to grow up understanding there are more options open to them than the average person ever dreams of. I desire them growing up with a mindset of "how can I work toward my goal" rather than "I don't think I can do that".

I hope you enjoy these posts as I share part of my life with you. Hopefully they also provide some benefit as you look to preparing for your own future and that of your family's. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

If you would like to learn more about investing in real estate please contact me at the email address listed at the beginning of this article or go to my website at: www.akerahomes.com/investing-in-real-estate.html to see two of the many ways I find better than MLS listing deals to provide investors with sound opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment